Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Rear bumper.


I found a used bumper but it was banged up with deep scratches.


The small screws broke due to rust.


Not an easy part top hold on a vise.


Before drilling...


... after tapping.


The lower part was also banged up with deep scratches...





It was a deep groove on the upper part...


... after some hammering, filing and sanding.


I've used a torch to put the brackets back in shape. Pretty tough job to get the right angles again.


After sanding the upper part with 80, 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 and 2000 grid paper, it is time for polishing; many hours of sanding and polishing.


Stating on the lower part. I'm trying to get the curve right in comparison with the other side.


Here are the tools I've used so far. Time to start sanding...







After many hours of sanding, I'm starting to get a shine again.


Time to attack the left side with sand paper.





Once the bumper is sanded with a 2000 grid, I have to spend a few hours polishing it. Here is the result once finished:






0 comments:

Post a Comment